Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Just do it!



The last few weeks, I have finally gotten outside and started enjoying the winter season. I'm one of those crazy people who actually enjoy all four seasons. Last weekend I went fishing with one of my friends. We probably should have picked a warmer day being it was -10 but we had a great time anyway.

I spent quite a bit of time freezing and thawing my camera, but when it did work I got a few really great pictures. You wouldn't believe the quality of light you can get in a dark little ice house at noon! I had carried my tripod all the way out there and didn't need it, what a great surprise. That brings me to the subject of my blog.

After most of the morning of toughing it out, we decided that we needed to thaw out a bit. Jeff turned on the heater and it burst into flames. Being guys, we found this incredibly cool. I though it might look good on camera, but it was going to be hard to catch and in my head talked myself out of it. This is something that photographers do ALL THE TIME. If I'm allowed to just explore I can always find something else to photograph and never make it anywhere in a timely manner. The thing that I need to work on is following those whims to photograph more. So thinking about that, we proceeded to repeatedly start the heater over and over. Probably not the smartest thing to do in a flammable ice house, but what we do for photographs and fire! I thought I got something interesting that I might be able to use somewhere down the road and that is why we follow our whims.

No comments: